Friday, April 15, 2005

farmhouse ales and cuisine, hangovers, and more stupid religious zealots

Well...there's nothing like a hectic bike ride all over Bloomington in order to secure the precious W2 that will get the juices flowing and knock that hangover right out. It all started with this book. Great book. I love Belgian farmhouse ales. After a couple hours of yard work yesterday, I felt I needed to drink a nice cool Ommegang Hennepin saison. Well, that served as inspiration for my large and excessive dinner. I'm not sure if they have acorn squash in Belgium, but goddammit, it seemed rustic to me at the time. So I polished off the 750ml Hennepin and started on a 750ml of Unibroue La Fin du Monde, a 9% Belgian tripel.



It's not the prettiest dinner I've ever made, and yes, I do oftentimes eat in front of my computer, but it was a very tasty meal.

Then Brian and myself met up with JennyB at Encore Cafe for some of the best beer deal in Bloomington: 2$ pints of Arrogant Bastard. Damn straight. After two of those there was a failed attempt at open mic. It failed beacuse they didn't take cards and we didn't have any cash and there were only 5 people there so we left. We went to the Alley Pub and had a couple DFH 60minutes, then it was on to Big Red where I picked up a bunch of bottles including a 3F's Gumballhead bomber. That was a mistake. I drank that thing far to quickly. I didn't need to drink it at all. Anyway, I woke up with quite a hangover. But because I had to get to my office hours by 11:00am, I had to deal with it. The beautiful weather really helped. But then I found out I couldn't get my W2 online so I had to ride over the big administration building on 7th street and pick it up there. So now it's time to do some taxes.

But first, check out this shit I heard in the NY Times:

"The telecast also signals an escalation of the campaign for the rule change by Christian conservatives who see the current court battle as the climax of a 30-year culture war, a chance to reverse decades of legal decisions about abortion, religion in public life, gay rights and marriage.

'As the liberal, anti-Christian dogma of the left has been repudiated in almost every recent election, the courts have become the last great bastion for liberalism," Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and organizer of the telecast, wrote in a message on the group's Web site. "For years activist courts, aided by liberal interest groups like the A.C.L.U., have been quietly working under the veil of the judiciary, like thieves in the night, to rob us of our Christian heritage and our religious freedoms.'"

This is getting ridiculous. I swear to god, I'm moving to Europe.

No comments: