Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break Extravaganze 2008 Part III: wherein our hero consumes a wild pig tamale

I am a coyote in a frozen field hunting morning mice. I am a black bear carcass rotting slowly in the cold woods. I am one hundred species of salamander scampering amongst wet leaf litter. I am a war painted brook trout rising with a cocksure pop to a mayfly. I am a lazy brown trout just hooked on a midge in a writhing slimy circle of fat meat. I am a six hundred year old hemlock in the Cataloochee Valley dying. I’m a gully washer eroding the mountain side silting the river. I am the Southern Apple Latch In Mountains.












Stopped on the Delayed Harvest section of the rather high and muddy Tuckaseegee River on my way home and caught five or six stockers on Double Bunnies and big rubber leg stone flies. This is Mr. Fatty Labrador:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In those first few pictures, Sean looks like he belongs in them hills! Maybe too much!!! Looks like you guys got some brewing of the beers done too. Wish I could've come up for a while.

Matthew D Dunn said...

Yeah, wish you were there man. But I'm glad we didn't go backpacking because it poured on Saturday in Cullowhee. It's a good thing we got that culvert dug out...