Monday, May 29, 2006

I've always wanted to be a geologist

While flooding is pretty bad for people sometimes, it sure is interesting.

The NY Times has an article about a river in New Hampshire which cut a new course during the pretty serious flooding a little bit ago. People are whining about it, but you know what people, that's what rivers do. They meander around the flood plain. If you knew a little something about hydrology you could probably see the signs of past meanders. Even though your floodplains are pretty narrow up there in old New Hamshire, it still happens. Maybe it will turn into an oxbow lake and then you'll all shut your yaps about losing your precious waterfront property.

I'm not sure why I'm pissed about this. If I lived on a river and it just dried up one day I'd be pretty pissed too. But what are the odds? Unlucky saps. yaps

Here is a picture of some meanders and oxbow lakes on a tributary to the Amazon I posted a while back from Google Earth. That was a mouthfeel.

No comments: