Sunday, May 28, 2006

some beer and the navier-stokes equations

Some many beers I brought back with me from PA. CLICK FOR BIGGER.




Some beer I made yesterday. An American IPA and a Mild, fermenting quite happily at 67°F.



Some whiskey I've been drinking.



Some of R's Navier-Stokes equations. CLICK FOR BIGGER.




And some of this, from the guy who wrote the Cambridge University Press online-book about the Navier-Stokes equations. I know (?) he doesn't mean that evolutionary biology is "light reading during a coffee break", but it's still a little funny.

"Life in Moving Fluids
Written by S. Vogel and published by Princeton University Press (1994), this book appears to be written for biologists in order to introduce them to the physics of fluids. While the fluid mechanics presented is descriptive, even compared to a junior level engineering fluid mechanics course, it is definitely worth a look by the mainline fluid mechanist. There is an abundance of neat (at least to me) data, e.g., the drag coefficients of crabs, frogs, and mackerels and the Reynolds numbers of similar creatures. Even more interesting (again, at least to me) are several discussions of how fluid mechanics influences the behavior and possibly the evolution of a wide variety of plants and animals. The treatment certainly satisfies that urge in all of us to explain why things are the way they are. I think the typical fluid mechanist will find this to be a great source of stories, applications, and data for the classroom or at least light reading during a coffee break."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too close to Kentucky to not drink this.

Matthew D Dunn said...

I've heard of that. I do want to try it. I bet it's really expensive though. Are you coming to FDIBS? Bringing some Pappy Van Winkle...?