Saturday, July 09, 2005

summer doldrums?

I don't even know what that means, but it sounds about right. I'm experiencing a severe bout of lethargy and laziness. I want to call it a malaise, but it's really not that bad. The weather here in Bloomington has really taken a turn for the better. Not the sweltering mid-90s and 197% humidity. I have the air off tonight. Windows open. It's really quite pleasant.

And I've been really enjoying Beck's new album, Guero. That song 'Earthquake Weather' might be the one of the best 5 songs ever written. I tend to exaggerate things, but it's one of those songs that I get completely obessed with for a short period of time, about a week or two. I can listen to it 15 times in a row. Another one is Gillian Welch's 'Look at Miss Ohio'. Another is Alison Krauss and Union Stations 'Boy who couldn't hoe corn'. Bright Eye's 'First Day of my Life'. Etc. There have been many and there will be many more. Music is a wonderful thing.

I've also developed a bit of a serious addiction to Erykah Badu. She is one of the most beautiful women on the planet, no doubt. And a remarkably original and incredible vocal talent.

ANYWAY, here is a photo extravaganza documenting my trip to PA over the fourth of July.

This is a picture of Ian Fitzpatrick playing a heated game of badminton (badmiton?).



A wolf-dog named Hemlock. Really. Half wolf.



This is Chris' dad Walt and his 55 gallons of very artisanal cider. He pressed the apples, filled the keg, put a blowoff tube on, and let it sit for 2 years. It's really just coming around now. I'd give it another year. It's still a little on the sweet side and there is still visible fermentation happening. But it's really tasty stuff. Little on the harsh side, but really complex too. Walt is the fucking man.



Here's Walt, Michelle looking quite a cute country girl, and Mike 'I'm the fucking man' Deam (dean?). He's really good at guitar. Needless to say there was lots of vike-rock played.



Half of my shucking work. That damn mug of Troeg's pils just kept getting in the way. Tasty stuff.



Ian doing some serious country livin'.



Brooke getting special instructions on which peas to pick from 'gramma gina'.



The wolf dog leading the pack in stripping the fresh kill of its meat. Oh wait, that's a blanket. Thank god.



OK, so I had to leave the festivities north of Reading a day early to head back for a family reunion. Oh well. The reunion was great fun too.

Here's a pic of my parents in their really indulgent new kitchen.



The pin ball machine was easily the coolest thing about the reunion.



We went shooting one day. Here is my father, my cousin Tara's new husband Rob, and my cousin Jesse throwing.



The family is from Central/Northwestern PA so a cooler full of Straub is required. One of the few preprohibition independent breweries left in the US. Their beer isn't so good. I got it mixed up with Rolling Rock in a blind tasting we had at the reunion.



We had a sweet tank race at the reunion too. Here they are, ready for battle.



Here we are lined up for the start of the crucial fourth heat. From left to right, uncle Joe, uncle Kurt, my brother Adam, and my cousin Chris.



This is Adam dominating in the paddleball event.



This is my uncle Kurt not dominating so much.



Adam with a little small mouth he got on Valley Creek.



And last but definately not least, Ryan Mills-Knapp, sommelier to the stars, fresh in from NYC doing some serious country living.



Until next time, drink good beer.

Matthew Dunn, Esq.

No comments: