Saturday, August 06, 2005

I'm sick

And that sucks. Clearly I should not have gone out on Wed. night. After a 10 day bender, I knew I needed to take Wed. night off. But Maura called me. What was I supposed to do?

Anyway, now I'm sick and it sucks. But I've been watching a lot of movies so how about some reviews eh?

The Life Aquatic: I like Wes Anderson's asthetic in general. It's weird, but I like it. The dialogue can be a little challenging, but I think it worked better in this movie than in, say, Royal Tenenbaums. The end of this movie is definately the best part. The Jaguar Shark is very cool. Rushmore is still definately the best movie made by Anderson.

The World According to Garp: Well, I read the novel a couple months ago and was super impressed by it. Irving has a real talent for complex story telling, not to mention ridiculous, graphic tragedy. Of course sometimes he stretches his characters to far following tragedy and it's hard to believe any actual human could deal with the shit he puts his characters through. This comes through even more obviously in the movie version as there isn't nearly enough time to fully develop the characters over longer periods of time. The movie, of course, misses some of the best parts of the book, the most glaring is Jenny and Garp's life in Vienna and his short story the Pensioner Grilparzer (I think is what it's called). Maybe those don't translate into movie form so well? Anyway, typical movie adaptation, too much squeezed into too little. I like The Door in the Floor a lot because it takes only one small section of an Irving novel and makes it into a movie. Really much more accessible. But still, the movie World According to Garp is very good. I cried a little bit, but not as much as when I read the book and at different times.

Comedian: a documentary about Jerry Seinfeld's 'starting from scratch' plan and Orny Adams 'coming up' story. I think I had seen it before, but I guess I forgot when I rented it. Doesn't really matter though because I like it just the same. Jerry Seinfeld is one of the most likeably people in the world and therefore a documentary about him is really easy to watch. And you get to see him interact with his wife and baby which is nice. Orny Adams on the other hand, is ridiculously difficult to watch because he is such a fucking stress case. That dude needs to lighten up. I think the theme of the movie, what it's like to be a comedian, was cool and all, but clearly comedians think they are far more special than they really are. I just kept thinking about how common their problems are in entertainment and to a lesser extent, to life in general. Get over yourself comedians.

Three Kings: I've been wanting to see this movie for some time now. I was a little dispointed. It was a bit of a meathead movie, i.e. simple, but it was enjoyable and just a little uplifting. Really unbelievable though too. And I hate Mark Wahlberg. He should not be in any movies except Boogie Nights and I hate Ice Cube. He should not be in any movies except Friday. And he should change his name. I also think they should tone down the crazy colors and visual effects. they even had a message at the start of the movie that said something like: 'colors and visual effects were modified for dramatic effect in this movie'. NO SHIT. You have to be an idiot to think that the desert is purple and that electricity travels through wires at like one foot a minute. Get over yourself.

Today I am still feeling sick and will watch One Hour Photo, a creepy looking movie starring Robin Williams and then, yes, I'm finally getting around to it, the greatest movie ever made, Citizen Cane.

I'll be the judge of that.

cheers
Matthew Daniel Dunn, invalid

No comments: